Imagine you pull into your garage toward the garage door, but it doesn’t open. The garage door spring broke and is now resting at the bottom of the garage door track. What do you do?
Well, many people immediately think to call a garage door service company to come out and replace or repair the broken garage door spring. Where this becomes a question is when someone offers to do the garage door spring repair for you. Is it a good idea to let them do this?
There are a few things you need to take into consideration before making your decision. The first is the experience of the person doing the garage door spring repair Chesapeake. If they have little or no experience, it may be best to let a professional handle it.
Another thing you need to consider is the cost of the garage door spring repair. Not all companies charge the same amount for this service, so it’s important to get quotes from several companies before deciding who to go with.
Finally, you should consider how handy you are. If garage door springs are not handled properly, they can be dangerous. However, some people feel more comfortable doing things themselves. If you’re one of these people, then go ahead and look into garage door spring repair yourself.
Whatever you decide to do, garage door spring repair should be done as soon as possible before the garage door becomes completely unusable. To help you make your decision about garage door spring repair, here are some garage door spring repair tips:
- Secure the garage door using rope or an old board while repairing the garage door spring (so it doesn’t fall)
- Mark the new position of the broken garage door spring so that when you string it back up again, it will fit perfectly in its previous position
- Use a vise grip to hold the garage door spring in place while tightening the bolts (or use vice grips to hold the garage door open)
- Wear safety glasses when repairing garage door springs
- Have a friend help you with the garage door spring repair, if possible. It can be difficult to do it alone.
Garage door spring repair is not an easy task, but it can be done by someone with experience and the right tools. If you’re not comfortable doing it yourself, don’t hesitate to call a professional garage door service company to come out and do it for you.